Yesterday I found an interesting job on a "Jobs in Aging" board. It is a part-time position, the job requirements are right up my alley -- training design and facilitation, working with people, benefits, the elderly and their caregivers and families -- and so I went ahead and applied to the email and person listed on the job announcement.
This morning I got an email from that person directing me to the organization's website so that I could apply online. I went to the site, started my application, and then stopped in my tracks.
No, I will not give you my SSN so that you can run a credit check on me at this point in the process. I don't want to give out my SSN, and I don't want your inquiry hitting my credit score!
A few months ago, I went online to the Borders site and had to go through the same exercise, all for a part-time position for a company that was soon going into bankruptcy.
And you want to see my credit report? C'mon.
As much as I would like to be considered for that part-time position in aging, I wrote a polite email back to the recruiter and explained to him/her why I wasn't going forward with the application process. I did offer to speak with him/her and if it looked like the organization was getting serious about wanting to hire me, I would certainly provide my info later in the process.
I just decided that I am putting my foot down and not letting some anonymous recruiter out there -- with his/her hackable software -- have my personal info any longer.
That's just wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment