Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Entry with No Title Because I Can't Think of One Right Now

Do what you love and the money will come, or so I've heard it said.  I would have to say that was true for all the years I taught as well as worked in the testing business.  There were many long days and nights of teaching; one quarter/semester found me teaching six sections of four courses at four different Bay Area college campuses!  Added to my teaching were the "read and eat" weekends I spent in hotels, working as a faculty consultant for a world-wide educational testing company.

Somewhere in all of that I found time to earn an M.A. in English and pursue coursework toward two unfinished doctorates, in English and in Education.  (Well, maybe the third time will be the charm!)

I never felt like it was really work, though, because I was so busy and happy.  The more jobs I had going, the more directions I went, the more content I seemed to be.  That life as an academic gypsy scholar made up some of the best days of my life so far.  According to my Social Security statement, that work style apparently paid off, too, so that adage proved true for me.

These days  I am once again going in a lot of directions, as recently dawned on me when I read back over my earlier blogs.  I am still "coming out green all over," like Mrs. Fisher in Enchanted April, and following all sorts of trails.  The volunteer work with seniors, the recent senior advisor certification, the ongoing coursework in fiduciary management: all are indicators that I am engaged and doing what I like to do simply because I want to do it.

This blog is still another indicator. I am writing because I want to write, and it has led me to yet another pursuit: I just sent a sample of my writing to our hometown newspaper.

Until I submitted that writing sample, I had forgotten that I already had a 'career' in journalism, long ago. In 6th grade, in Alice, Texas, I was the Fashion Editor of my school newspaper, where I recall writing about the "kicky beret" topping off one classmate's outfit.   Later on, in 8th grade, I was Editor in Chief of the Kaiser Krier.  The journalism advisor actually gave me an independent study class so that I could work on the paper without having a schedule conflict with my band class. 

Years later, my French horn has long been donated to a local junior high school band class, which is just as well, since my beagles would get rather alarmed and hide behind chairs when I blew a few notes.  "Tally Ho" means absolutely nothing to these progeny of show beagle lineage!  But my interest in writing, long dormant, is coming back.  We will see where I go with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment