A little over 30 years ago, a prince and a shy aristocratic English rose got engaged. Newly married myself, I was there in spirit for the engagement, up very early for the wedding, there for the pregnancies, the births, the sadness, and the final tragedy that, all these years later, hasn't quite gone away.
Early this morning, their son married his Catherine. Catherine Elizabeth. I am so glad that a brunette named Catherine (even if the name is spelled differently from mine) is going to be Queen of England some day! And I am glad her middle name is the same as my dear departed mum-in-law's. She would have been as tickled about this all as I am!
Some things just become part of our personal histories, and for better or for worse, the House of Mountbatten-Windsor seems to be part of mine. Hence, my attendance at the wedding on my big ol' 46" inch TV, starting at 1 am PST. I wasn't alone, of course; the 4 beagles were sacked on the couch, surrounding me with love, snores, and the other attendant effluvium of dog ownership. But I digress . . . .
I am happy as all get out for Will and Kate, and I find that another blogger was there watching and sharing my interest and enthusiasm.
In her morning's blog about this (early, early, early) morning's Royal Wedding, "The Brazen Careerist" shared her experience watching the Royal Wedding.
Within her blog , I found that I have something more in common with the new Duchess of Cambridge than just my first name. Read on.
According to the results of a study from Boston University, BC writes, "in general, the very wealthy (those who have more than $10 million) are extremely anxious about money. And much of that anxiety is about work. Because for the super-rich, work is essentially volunteer. [Emphasis mine.]
Hey, that sounds a little like being retired, I thought to myself.
BC continues, quoting psychologist Robert Kenny: "Work is what fills most people’s days, and it provides the context in which they interact with others. A life of worklessness, however financially comfortable, can easily become one of aimlessness, of estrangement from the world. The fact that most people imagine it would be paradise to never have to work does not make the experience any more pleasant in practice."
She got that right! "Kwitcherbitchin," my little brother would say. But he doesn't get it. Not at all.
BC concludes, "Kate and William will have to build a life where they find purpose in work in spite of their wealth."
Well, this "Kate" and her husband, two accidental retirees, also have had to build a life where they find some new purpose. It's not about the money, or not yet. It's about the purpose.
Good luck with all that, from one "Kate," the commoner, to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and her new husband. I am getting it all worked out (no pun intended), and I am sure you will, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment