Well, I've been a Baby Boomer for a while now and praised and vilified accordingly, and now, thanks to last night's newscast, I'm part of the impending Silver Tsunami ready to terrorize the streets and highways of the Bay Area.
The newscast 'warned' that in the next 10 years, 1 in 5 Bay Area residents are going to be 65 (I think that was how they put it) and so younger residents will need to start thinking about how to have "the conversation" about our not driving when the time comes.
Really? The younger folks should be worried about me? I am not talking on my phone, or texting, or playing grabass with my passengers, or shaving my bikini line, or smacking bratty kids -- or all of the above!
Actually, I find that over the last couple of years, I've become somewhat more careful as a driver. For example, I no longer drive with the stereo blaring; I want to make sure I can hear sirens coming down the road -- and approaching intersections! I also find that I watch out for others a whole lot more; I am not being so distracted by daily worries of work, etc., and instead pay more attention to what's going on around me.
Part of that, I must admit, is trying to be a more defensive driver since I find the frenetic pace of the Bay Area freeways getting worse and worse. If someone is coming from behind me and wants to get off the freeway at the same exit I do, will they wait for me? Nah, they speed up and go around me and cut in front of me, and yes, I am driving the speed limit or maybe a bit faster,depending on the flow of traffic.
The freeways have not been very pleasant around here for a very long time, and they seem to be getting worse. I can finally understand why my elderly friend would only take surface streets. She found the freeways too hectic. I am starting to feel that way, too. Even dear ol' 680, which I've always enjoyed driving, isn't quite the pleasure cruise it used to be.
The other factor that may be playing into this is the fact that my life has slowed down, anyway. Since I am not out driving in commute traffic any longer, I am not caught up in something and am not acclimated to the faster speeds and the need for quick reaction times for the idiots driving erratically on the roads.
I am glad to be out of life in the fast lane, in all respects, but sure wish there was time and space for some slow lane time.
Even the slow lane is the fast lane on our freeways!
LOL- I was just in Seattle and my son was happy to be in the back seat with his lady in the front while I drove. They were happy to be relieved of driving those crazy freeways!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI must also add that the other day,while approaching an intersection with a green light, I saw and heard an ambulance coming from the opposite direction, and stopped along with everyone else.
ReplyDeleteWell, nearly everyone.
Some person in a white Honda SUV made a left turn -- the driver DID have the green arrow, after all -- cutting right across the path of the oncoming ambulance and narrowly avoiding being hit. I shrieked in terror and awaited the collision, but nothing happened.
I guess I overreacted or something.
Fortunately there was enough traffic backed up so that I could find out where on earth that driver was so intent on getting. "I HAVE to see what kind of idiot gets out of that car and where he/she was going!"
I watched the white Honda SUV continue into the little mall and cruise through the parking lot. The SUV's blonde driver, busily texting, alighted from her dummy-mobile, followed by a gaggle of her spawn.
She was in the pickup parking area for Chili's Restaurant.
There is so much more I could write. But I won't.
And they are worried about me?!